Lifeguard Courses in the Maldives
With so much water surrounding this tiny island nation, the need for safety around the ocean is incredibly high. The SSI Lifeguard Courses are designed to bring a much needed standard of training to those involved with people taking part in water related activities.
The Lifeguard Course will help develop and train skills that will allow you to deal with situations that arise as a result of people getting into difficulties in the water. The course focuses on proper techniques to ensure that both the victim is given the best possible chance of survival, while ensuring that the safety of the rescuer is not compromised.
In order to enroll on the Lifeguard course, you need to be able to demonstrate the following:
- Swim 400m of which 200m must be frontstroke, and 200m backstroke;
- Tread water using the legs only (ie hands must be kept below the armpit level) for 2 minutes;
- Tread water using both arms and legs for 5 minutes;
- Dive to a depth of 3m and retrieve a 3kg weight;
- Enter the water from a height of 3m safely;
- Swim underwater for a distance of 25m;
- Hold a valid CPR and First Aid certification from a recognized agency.
The Lifeguard Course typically takes 5-7 days to complete. Please note that if candidates do not hold a valid CPR / First Aid certificate, this can be added to the standard course.